Choosing Kitchen Worktops – what are your choices?
The kitchen worktop is one of the most used finishes in the kitchen and because of this it is important to find a versatile worktop that serves your needs. The current selection of kitchen worktops is very varied and new choices are added regularly.
Kitchen Worktop Trends in 2017
Trends in the main are solid wood, granite, quartz, marble, laminates and composites.
Remember too that the colour of your kitchen worktops is an important consideration. A trend I see frequently is when kitchen units are a light colour a dark worktop is used to contrast with the light units. My opinion on this is that a light worktop can work successfully with light coloured units - a lot depends on the light sources available in your kitchen. It is worth noting that your worktop can absorb a lot of light if it is a dark finish and it will reflect light if it has a light colour.
This point is worth remembering when putting the kitchen colour scheme together. To sumsmarize, the overall effect light kitchen worktops can make in your kitchen is dramatic and can create a feeling of light, space, cleanliness and openness. On the other hand if you have dark kitchen worktops then artificial and natural lighting has more work to do to give light to the tasks in hand in your kitchen and can be successful once this is taken into account and can look fabulous.
- Solid wood looks great and is durable, there is some maintenance.
- Granite and quartz are easy maintenance however care is needed when setting delicate china and glass onto them because they are a hard surface.
- Marble has similar properties to granite and quartz however marble is more porous and care is needed with certain liquids and acidic fruits etc.
- Laminates give excellent wear and are great value but will not take hot saucepans so care is needed.
- Composites are a very good option, they are quieter than some other hard surfaces, they are easy maintenance but can scratch if not treated with care.
- Choose your options carefully because once kitchen worktops are fitted they are not easily changed because of the electrics/gas fitting of the hob, plumbing of the kitchen sink and taps and tiling of the wall behind the worktop! In summary consider the finish and love it before you order it.
Comments are closed.